Check your Carbon Monoxide/CO2 Detectors!

Carbon monoxide gases is produced from the burning of wood, natural gas, oil, and kerosene. It is odorless and colorless, this means you wouldn’t know its presence unless you have a detector to alert you when levels get dangerous inside your home.

When gas levels get high, you may start to experience a headache, dizziness, nausea, weakness, vomiting, and shortness of breath. If you suspect there is carbon monoxide, you should leave your home immediately and then call 911. Carbon monoxide can be deadly.

CO2 change

Carbon monoxide is light so it can rise with warm air inside the home. Experts recommend placing a carbon monoxide detector or alarm on a wall about five feet above the floor and a detector on every floor on your home.

“Never put one close to a fireplace or gas stove or an oven that produces a flame,” according to an article at The Philadelphia Inquirer. “Keep the detector 15 feet from furnaces or water heaters; close proximity likely will set off the alarm. Detectors should not replace smoke alarms but, rather, be used in concert with them.”

Have a backup battery in carbon monoxide detectors, since some of the most common situations where the gas can be dangerous is during power outages.

Stay safe!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.